What food do Hummingbirds eat?
What Do Hummingbirds Eat？
1. Hummingbird Nectar
4. Fruit Juice/Fruit Jelly
Fruit juice/jelly is also a food for hummingbirds. Certain ripe or juicy fruits may attract hummingbirds. They especially like fruits that are high in sugar content, such as ripe bananas, oranges, grapes, and melons. However, it's important to note that fruits should only be offered as a supplement to the bird's diet, as too much fruit can cause digestive problems.
How to Attract Hummingbirds to Your Backyard?
Based on the hummingbirds' diet and features, here are some tips that can help you to attract hummingbirds to your backyard or garden.
1. Provide Safe Spaces
If you want to feed the birds in nature, keeping your garden in a safe place is the key point! It means, keeping cats indoors and ensuring bird feeders are positioned away from areas where predators might lurk.
2. Use Red Colors
Hummingbirds are attracted to the color red. Consider hanging red ribbons or using red feeders. In fact, you can find there are all selling red hummingbird feeders on the market. Like Birdfy hummee extension, red flowers attract these birds.
3. Fill Hanging Feeders with Nectar
Attract hummingbirds by filling a feeder with nectar. Using sugar water can work.
Here's a step-by-step guide to making sugar water with sugar and water
- Boil the water to kill any bacteria or mold present.
- Remove the water from the heat and add the sugar (4 parts water and one-part white granulated sugar).
- Stir until the sugar completely dissolves.
- Allow the mixture to cool before filling the feeder.
- Any leftover nectar can be stored in the refrigerator for up to one week.
- Do not use honey, brown sugar, or artificial sweeteners as these can be harmful to hummingbirds.
- Avoid adding red dye to the mixture. While hummingbirds are attracted to red, the dye is unnecessary and may be harmful to the birds.
- Clean your hummingbird feeders regularly to prevent mold and bacterial growth.
4. Provide a Water Source
Like other birds, hummingbirds need fresh water for drinking and bathing. A shallow dish of clean water or a bird bath can help attract these birds.
5. Plant Hummingbird-Friendly Plants
If there is a condition, you can plant hummingbird-friendly plants in your backyard to make it more attractive. Like, have brightly colored, tubular, scentless flowers. Some great examples include trumpet honeysuckle, bee balm, and hummingbird sage.
Hummingbirds are fascinating creatures, many bird lovers love them. If you want to attract them to your backyard bird feeders, please make sure you know what they eat and what to do to attract them well.
And if you want to know and watch them when they visit your feeders, you can use the bird feeder with cameras! Birdfy feeder cameras can notify you when the bird comes via sending you notifications. Then you can watch them via the application. Sound great, right? Go and get it for your birdwatching!